The history of Grange Court
There are several things you should know before reading the story of Grange Court:
- For most of its existence it was known as Baildon Lodge.
- There are two houses called Baildon Lodge on Station Road, and care has been taken to ensure that they have not been confused with each other in compiling this history. The other is further along Station Rd near the railway station.
- Baildon Lodge is built close to another large house called Baildon House, and there are close links between the two over their history.
- Press cuttings are included, to provide an insight into the lives of the occupants, along with a historical commentary.
- The following is only a summary - for all the detail of the history, please download and read the PDF by Roger Clarke which you will find at the end.
1724 to 1866
In 1724, Baildon House was built. Adjacent to it was a wayside inn called Leather Breeches, later Baildon Lodge. William Holden owned both Baildon House and Baildon Lodge. He died in 1809 aged 71 years. He left the properties to his only daughter who married John Lambert. The properties were then left to their two daughters.
Margaret married James Bent and they lived at Baildon House. The other daughter, Caroline Ann, married Thomas Lockley, MD, aged 49, a local magistrate, and a practising physician, and they lived at Baildon Lodge. The 1861 census confirms that they were living at Baildon Lodge with their 5 year old son, Edward Holden Lockley. They had a cook, servant and a groom. They continued to live there until 1866.
1866 to 1871
In 1866 Mr Titus Salt Junior and his wife Catherine moved into Baildon Lodge, and lived there until 1871. Titus Junior was the 7th child and 5th son of Sir Titus Salt who built Saltaire. Titus Junior married Catherine Crossley on 15th March, 1866. Her family owned Crossley Carpets in Halifax and had a very close friendship with the Salt family. The union of Titus and Catherine increased that bond. Living at Baildon Lodge, their first 2 children were born there. Gordon Loxley Salt was born on 17th December, 1866 and Harold Crossley Salt was born on 2nd August, 1868.
Their project to build a huge mansion at Milner Field was conceived a few months into their marriage when two farm houses came up for sale on the Milner Field estate, which they bought and demolished while they were living at Baildon Lodge. Titus Junior’s elder brother Edward had already built a mansion at Ferniehurst in Baildon. Titus Junior went on to create the Milner Field mansion which was to entertain Royalty in 1882 and 1887.
1871 to 1940
In 1871, 24 year old Harry Rouse and his wife Mary aged 19 moved into Baildon Lodge. Harry was distantly related to the Salt family. They lived there until 1877 and had 4 servants, one of whom was also their coachman.
By the 1891 census a family had taken over Baildon Lodge. John Spink, aged 54 years, (a wine and spirit merchant, brewer and cigar importer) and his wife Elizabeth Spink aged 45 years lived there with their 5 children. They had a cook, housemaid and a nurse.
In the 1901 census Alfred W. Hoffman aged 39 years, wool and yarn merchant, with his wife Sarah (40) and daughter Irene (12) were living at the Lodge. They are still there in 1926, with the addition of John Achior Hoffman (24) also a wool and yarn merchant. They had a cook and two housemaids, one from Bergen in Norway.
In 1928 Sarah is living alone at the Lodge.
1940 to present date
In October 1940, the Sunday Schools at the Primitive Methodist and Moravian Churches, the Picture House (opposite the Malt Shovel) and a number of large houses were commandeered by the military authorities for billeting purposes. It may be that Baildon House and Lodge were amongst the houses chosen.
Baildon Lodge became a residential home for the elderly in 1985, owned by Dr Wozny. This closed in 1996. In 1997 Baildon Lodge was purchased and refurbished by the Berry family. The residential home was reopened as Grange Court in January 1998. Following this there were several building renovations, including joining the existing house to the stable building, building a conservatory, and adding a hair salon. Further work was carried out in 2018 to bring the occupancy of the care home to 30 again.
With thanks to historian Roger Clarke.